Your menu is what makes your restaurant stand out from the rest. When designing your menu you should consider the number of items on your menu, the items themselves and the layout of your menu. These factors are essential to turn the visitors on your restaurant page into new customers.
There are several factors to a having a good menu on Deliveroo:
- Cover photo. This should showcase your brand and encourage customers to visit your restaurant page.
- Menu description. This sits at the top of the menu page and explains what makes your restaurant different. We recommend telling the story of your brand and explaining why it was created. This should be between 200 - 245 characters.
- Category names. The titles of the sections of your menu. This should help customers easily navigate your menu and clearly understand each section.
- Category descriptions. You should look to explain why these set of items are grouped together as well as highlight the key ingredients and tastes associated with the category.
- Item names. The titles of your dishes.
- Item descriptions. Should give the customer all the information they need to understand the dish, from ingredients to allergens. The first 60 characters are the most important; anything after that will be cut off on the menu page and only visible when the item is clicked on.
- Item photos. These will be photos of specific menu items. Customers will see these photos when they visit your restaurant page. Specific photos of each item on your menu makes it as easy as possible for customers to decide what to order.
On Deliveroo we see a variety of different layouts. However the most common three are:
- A la carte menu. This menu is organised by course type or by time of day. An example of an A la carte menu is one that is laid out by starters, main courses, sides, special sides, and desserts.
- Static menu. This is a menu that is not time dependent and is mostly used by fast food restaurants. An example of a static menu is on that is laid out by food type. E.g. burgers, pasta, fish, meat, pizza and salads.
- Small Form menu. A shorter form menu is built around a smaller number of items (5-10). This streamlined menu is usually used by ‘grab and go’ styled operators with one or two items being the core offering. A type of small form menu are Build-Your-Own which give customers the option to modify their meal. These are known as modifiers. Small form menus are typically used by restaurants offering poké or burritos.
- Don’t give customers too much choice. Your menu should have a good number of menu items, but not too many because the more options a person has the more anxious they will feel and the harder it will be to pick what they want. We suggest having anywhere between 40-80 items, excluding modifiers.
- Make your restaurant easy to find. We use tags to help customers when they’re searching for new restaurants or food to try on Deliveroo. Tags help customers filter by cuisine, dietary and religious requirements. We recommend having no more than 3 tags.
- Modifiers and up-selling. From a customer point of view modifiers are great way for a to customise an order. From a restaurant's point of view its a great way up-sell additional items during ordering the ordering experience. Adding modifiers can help increase your average order value and therefore increase margins.
To make changes to your menu, contact your local partner team today.